- Not everything is a project: In our Binocs R&D implementations the team workload coming from portfolio projects is often not more than 40%. Team leaders can only answer capacity questions if they see the full picture.
- Input, input, input: PPM tools are too sophisticated for scientists, which are typically not project managers. So to "feed the beast", the organization has to setup a variety of processes and systems to lead the data to the right place in the tool. A forest of Excel sheets and inputting the same data multiple times is not an exception.
- I can't promise: "Can we do this extra project?" is often the killer question. In matrix structures where teams need to combine multiple projects with routine work, this is not an easy answer. It requires an algorithm that evaluates priorities, competences, demand elasticity and team member capacity profiles. This is not the primary focus of PPM tools. PPM tools provide you with a partial and unconstraint resource demand plan.
- Lack of end-to-end coordination: E2E coordination works in two dimensions. Project managers coordinate activities across different individuals or teams within their project. The PPM tool supports them well for that. But functional team leaders lack the visibility to coordinate between projects and other sources of demand. That's when a variety of Excel sheets starts to pop up. The start of organizational disintegration.
How Binocs and Project Portfolio Management together enforce R&D performance and on time delivery?
End-to-end visibility as the key to optimize resource planning in R&D
Give Binocs a try
Sign up for free and give Binocs a try.
1. Just visualize it
This is where resource planning visibility is a true game changer
- Binocs allows you to identify capacity risks far more easy.
- With the Binocs cloud based resource planning tool, you can plan the optimal flow of your product lifecyle management (PLM) processes
- You'll easily create dashboards and views to look at capacity questions from different angles.
2. Get capacity answers promptly
Even in a complex environment like research and development
- Organize and plan your R&D staff around a broad variety of project demand and routine work
- Engage a wide span of competences such as pre-clinical, clinical, CMC, labeling, production, engineering and project management
- Keep track of all workload in one single place
3. Standardize work and win, twice
Standardizing work items in R&D might seem difficult at first sight, but it is a winner’s effortEven when workloads may vary every time again, you can still categorize it into typical work items. By defining standard work items, your organization wins twice:
- Teams will execute activities more efficiently
- Delivering on time never before was this easy
4. Surf on your project portfolio management system
We translate your PPM work packages into comprehensive work sequences
- Import and sync the latest work package and milestone status from systems like Planisware, Primavera, Clarizen, Sciforma and MS project
- Through a work configurator, Binocs is able to translate your work packages in to sequences of detailed tasks that are planned across your R&D organization
- You input your projects on a work package level. Binocs generates the detailed tasks automatically, No extra data input needed. Just use the Binocs planning output. Cool, isn't it?
5. Anticipate with what-if
Build multiple “what-if” scenarios to anticipate on challenges
- Play around and run scenarios without affecting the "official baseline". It's easy and fast. Everybody can run scenarios.
- Discover staffing needs. See where exchanging resources between teams helps. Identify from which operational excellence initiatives you'll benefit the most.
- Compare solutions to decide upon the best option
Project approach: start small, win quickly
Introducing a new way of working has never been a burden in Binocs implementation projects. The Binocs team helps you to focus on the most important activities first, paving the way to success. Even when you start small, you can immediately make important efficiency progress visible in your organization.
“What if” you could stop firefighting?
Some of the world's biggest brands trust Binocs to plan their resources. View all our clients.
"Binocs offers tangible benefits for R&D"
Create end-to-end planning visibility Easily identify resource capacity risks - no more firefighting Easy collaboration between teams Integrate with project portfolio management system Standardize work and accumulate on-time projects Create transparent dashboards and report Easy to use via a user-friendly, always available web-based interface